Monday, June 19, 2006

My failed attempt at solar dyeing roving

On a recent beautiful and warm sunny day Piz and I were dyeing some sock yarn (using the oven), and I decided to make use of the bright sunshine and try my hand at solar dyeing some roving. Here it is soaking in the citric acid mordant water. (I guess I didn't take a picture of it with the dyes I put on it.) I poured out the water and added the dyes, then I covered the pan with foil and put it out in the sun for 2 hours. Well, 2 hours was nowhere near enough time. It probably needed at least twice that much time in the heat, or possibly all day. The roving looked like this hanging on the line, awash with sunshine so bright it probably isn't a true representation of the colors. The reason I call it a failed attempt is because I used bright red, bright yellow, bright green, and bright blue dyes; the majority of which ran down the drain. Even though it isn't any color I planned for, I love the way it turned out. It is primarily a peachy/coral color. I spun it and then navajo-plied it to keep the colors from mudding up too much. Since that is triple ply, I ended up with only about 225 yards. I don't know what the yarn is calling out to be. Do you have any ideas for me?

Yesterday, the second day of Land of the Loon, was a little better for vendors, but probably still not wonderful. It was really windy and the skies looked ominous all afternoon. We managed to get all the way through without rain however.

In closing, here is a bunny from the Shepherd's Harvest sheep and wool festival which was held Mother's Day weekend this year, in Lake Elmo, Minnesota.

It's late and I'm tired! I am trying out new contacts, they are extended wear so I don't have to take them out every night. And also, my doc has me trying what she calls "mono vision." I have one contact with my distance prescription, and one contact with my reading prescription. I've had them in since last Friday. They are wonderfully comfortable and are great in the morning when I wake up. Being as nearsighted as I am, it's a treat for me to wake up and be able to see right away. Otherwise I can't even read the alarm clock or see anything in the room. I am honestly so nearsighted I need glasses to find my glasses. Anyway, they are comfortable, but I am not sure the mono vision thing is working. My eyes get VERY tired and I kind of see double. I think they aren't working very well together at present. She said it could take a couple of weeks to get used to it, and if I don't like it we could try to reverse the lenses and if I still don't like the mono vision, I can then try the new bifocal lenses. The idea of going without reading glasses is tempting enough to keep me trying!!!

Keep spinning.

1 Comments:

Blogger Suzanne said...

Not that I have done it before, but maybe the next time try covering the foil (which reflected the light/heat) with a black cloth, or something, which would absorb more light/heat. If it's the lack of heat that you think was the problem,that is.

Me

6:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home